Project-Based Journalism Partnerships
Partners joining us at the Contributing, Sustaining, or Uplifting Community levels for deep-dive story series are bound by the following partnership terms. Upon receipt and payment of your invoice, the terms between “Discourse Media” (including its subsidiary brands) and the “Partner” are as follows:
(A) Discourse Media is producing a Project-Based Journalism “Deep Dive” story series, and inviting Partners to support the work; and
(B) The Partner has agreed to support this Deep Dive project on the terms and conditions contained in this Agreement.
NOW THEREFORE in consideration of the promises and mutual covenants herein, the parties agree as follows:
- SCOPE OF PROJECT: Discourse Media will produce a Deep Dive project, to include:
- Stories investigating a particular subject or theme
- A look into solutions both locally and elsewhere
- Virtual event bringing stakeholders and communities together for dialogue
- PR campaign + national distribution to bring attention to issue and solutions
- PARTNERSHIP BENEFITS: The Partner will receive the following benefits, according to Partnership level:
- Contributing Partner (Logo on project page, free event tickets, impact report) – $1,000
- Sustaining Partner (Contributing Partner benefits, plus: Recognition at event, logo in email newsletter) – $2,500
- Uplifting Partner (Sustaining Partner benefits, plus: Recognition in story footer) – $5,000
- PROJECT TERM: Discourse Media will advise partners of the community engagement phase, which will inform the editorial direction of the series. The stories, events and PR campaign will follow across an approximately 4-week period.
- PAYMENT: The Partner agrees to pay Discourse Media the value of their Partner level plus GST in consideration for the partnership benefits as described. The full payment will be invoiced and will be due within 30 days of receipt. Please make all payments to Discourse Media Inc.
- EXPENSES: The Partner is not responsible for any expenses incurred by Discourse Media in connection with fulfilling the terms of this agreement.
- JOURNALISM ETHICS AND STANDARDS: Discourse Media agrees to adhere to the journalistic principles necessary to foster genuine dialogue, engage our journalism partners, secure earned media syndication and maintain audience credibility. The Partner acknowledges the journalism principles of truthfulness, accuracy, objectivity, in partiality, fairness and public accountability. The Partners agrees it will not seek to influence or edit journalist produced content in advance of publication. Discourse Media agrees it will not imply that the Partner has endorsed the content contained in the Deep Dive.
- APPROVALS: Both parties agree not to use each other’s logos, names or other related assets in publicity about the project without seeking express permission. Discourse Media will seek approval from the Partner to use Partner assets to fulfil the partnership benefits described in this agreement.
- INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS: Discourse Media retains sole copyright and ownership of all rights in and to the Work including text, photos, video, infographics, and other multimedia, with the exception of rights granted to the Partner. This Agreement operates as a grant of copyright license, permission, and use to the maximum extent necessary or useful for the Partner to carry out and benefit from the terms of this Agreement in perpetuity.
- TERMINATION OF AGREEMENT: Either party may terminate this Agreement by notice in writing, and the termination shall be effective thirty (30) days after receipt of such notice. Notice shall specify cause for termination. Where the Partner terminates the Agreement under this clause, the Partner shall pay outstanding fees for all services rendered and costs incurred up to the date of termination.
- GOVERNING LAW: This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the Province of British Columbia and the laws of Canada applicable thereto and the parties hereby agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of the Province of British Columbia.